Every year, I dreaded the physical computing unit using Arduinos in my Computer Science I class. I felt so frustrated by connection errors that I don’t think it was fun for anyone! A few years ago, I took a huge step back and devoted the first few lessons entirely to circuit basics using paper circuits and simulators.
Design challenges are great any time of year. A well-designed challenge encourages creative thinking, cooperative learning, and the chance to see ideas come to life!
My favorite part of holiday activities (at any time of the year!) is learning about different traditions students have. When designing activities, the key is to let students be creative and tell the class about themselves.
Sometimes the best resources are in your own building! Especially at a time when health protocols, expenses, and time prevent us from taking field trips.
Small changes can make a huge difference when keeping middle school students focused and on task.
And upon emerging on the other side of the typical stages and attempting to prioritize myself, I thought I’d try written reflection.
I’m headed into year three of individualized learning! What’s changed? What do we like? What am I still working on?
A few years ago, I reframed my 6th grade computer class around using our computer science skills to help others. And this year I finally got to do our robotics project!
f you haven’t already seen the classroom Hummingbird Kit bundles, go take a minute to bask in all its organizational glory. I am determined to keep them beautiful. My overarching strategy is to give the students ownership so they, too, want to keep the kits organized. Though this post will specifically detail the classroom procedures I use with the Hummingbird Kit, the resources are easily adaptable to whatever you’re using!
It’s been awhile since I’ve been able to use hardware in my middle school classroom, so I was nervous and excited to break in our new HummingbirdBit Robotics Kits. In the before times, I had used a similar kit, and I knew I wanted to do a better job of isolating the coding and the hardware before combining the two. I also wanted to spend time focusing on input versus output devices as this always seems to be a challenge.